This list of Basketball Coaching Quotes is loaded with words of inspiration and insight from some of the most legendary coaches of the game.
These basketball coach quotes will not only help inspire and motivate you, but they will also give you some insight into how these coaches approached the game of basketball.
If you’re looking for an incredible list of inspirational basketball quotes from some of the most successful and respected coaches of all-time…you’ve come to the right place. Enjoy these amazing basketball coach quotes!
Inspirational Basketball Coaching Quotes
Basketball Coach Quotes 1 – 5
- “Keep it simple, when you get too complex you forget the obvious.” — Al McGuire
- “Building relationships is the key for being happy as a coach. Players must want to play for you. If they are comfortable with you, they will work hard for you.” — Mike McConathy
- “Good defensive play is as much a matter of hustle, desire and pride as it is anything else.” — Tex Winter
- “You must have a passion to coach.” — Rick Majerus
- “You don’t beat people with surprise, you beat them with execution.” — John McKay
Basketball Coach Quotes 6 – 10
- “If a coach is determined to stay in the coaching profession, he will develop from year to year. This much is true, no coach has a monopoly on the knowledge of basketball. There are no secrets in the game. The only secrets, if there are any, are good teaching of sound fundamentals, intelligent handling of men, a sound system of play, and the ability to instill in the boys a desire to win.” — Adolph Rupp
- “He who controlleth the backboard, controlleth the game.” — Adolph Rupp
- “Your defense will save you on the nights that your offense isn’t working.” — Adolph Rupp
- “I believe that good defense embodies seven cardinal principle: reduce the number of your opponent’s shots; force your opponent into low percentage shots; control everything within 18 feet; eliminate second shots; no easy baskets; point the ball on all long shots; and prevent the ball from going into the pivot man.” — Adolph Rupp
- “To be successful you need to have good, happy players.” — Norm Sloan
Basketball Coach Quotes 11 – 15
- “The more your players have to think on the basketball court, the slower their feet get.” — Jerry Tarkanian
- “The big time is not a place; it’s the state of your heart. It’s not something you get; it’s something you become.” — Frosty Westering
- “Players don’t care how much I know until they know how much I care.” — Frosty Westering
- “The more honor and self-respect among players, the greater the team.” Frosty Westering
- “Leadership starts at the top.” — Morgan Wooten
I hope you have enjoyed this incredible list of Basketball Coaching Quotes.