To explain why Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever…I’ll start with a few quotes from other NBA stars.
Basketball quotes about Michael Jordan…
1. “Once Michael gets up there he says, Well, maybe I’ll just hang up here in the air for a while, just sit back.’ Then all of a sudden, he says, ‘Well, maybe I’ll 360. No I changed my mind. I’ll go up on the other side. He’s just incredible.”
–Magic Johnson, referring to the aerial artistry performed by Michael Jordan
2. “That play was Give the ball to Michael and everyone else get the @##@#% out of the way.”
–Chicago Bulls head coach Doug Collins, on “The Shot”
3. “I think he’s God disguised as Michael Jordan.”
–Boston’s Larry Bird, on Michael Jordan after he scored 63 points against the Celtics in Game 2 of the 1986 Eastern Conference First Round
4. “You don’t hesitate with Michael, or you’ll end up on some poster in a gift shop someplace.”
–Felton Spencer, on Michael Jordan
5. “The Chicago Bulls’ Michael Jordan’s three-point explosion in Game 1 of the 1992 NBA Finals against Portland is easily one of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen. As he made his sixth straight, he winked directly at (broadcast partner) Mike (Fratello) and me and held his palms up in a shrug, as if to say, What can I do?”
Here is how I compare Michael Jordan to other NBA superstars and legends…
Magic Johnson was great but he had James Worthy, Kareem, Byron Scott, etc. Two of his teammates were selected as the 50 greatest NBA players of all-time.
Larry Bird had Robert Parish, Kevin McHale and more. These two were selected as the 50 greatest NBA players of all-time.
Michael Jordan really only had Scottie Pippen. If you look back at how many close games MJ had throughout his career, it proves that they could never have done it without him. He hit so many game winning shots that broke the hearts of teams such as the Cleveland Cavaliers, Utah Jazz, New York Knicks and more.
Many times he was named 1st Team All-NBA. He won 6 NBA championships in which he was the final MVP each time. He was the Slam Dunk King during his era. He was the NBA scoring champion most years. He could defend anybody and shut them down. His highlight reel is unbelievable and out of this world.
Even when he came back after retirement, at such a relatively old age, he still averaged well over 20 points per game. Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, Gary Payton, Grant Hill, Shaq and many more could not play at this high level as they got older.
Michael Jordan is, was and always will be the greatest basketball player to have ever played this great game…ever!
Comments for Michael “Air” Jordan – The Greatest Ever