The Role Of The Youth Athlete
In order for an athlete to enjoy the positive benefits of participating in youth sports, their responsibilities must first be clearly defined and understood.
These responsibilities should be communicated from the coach to the athletes and their parents before the season gets under way. When their responsibilities are clearly defined, the youth athlete is much more willing to accept and carry these out throughout the season.
An enjoyable experience in youth sports is one that places many demands on the youth athlete while at the same time providing them with many positive benefits. These demands can only be met and these benefits can only be realized when the athlete is taught to be a responsible part of their team.
As they participate in sports, the young athlete should put a tremendous amount of effort into following the ten responsibilities listed below. By doing this, they are putting themselves, their teammates and their coaches in a much better position to enjoy their youth sports experience.
1. Athletes should always treat their teammates and opponents with respect and dignity.
2. Athletes should obey all team and league rules at all times.
3. Athletes should give their full attention when they are being instructed on skills, drills and techniques.
4. Athletes should always participate in practices and games with a clear mind.
5. Athletes should immediately report any injury to their coach for further medical evaluation.
6. Athletes should always discourage their teammates and opponents from breaking the rules.
7. Athletes should play under emotional control during practices and games.
8. Athletes should avoid acting aggressively or in a self-destructing manner.
9. Athletes should compliment their teammates and opponents on their good performances.
10. Athletes should return to playing after an injury is completely treated and healed.
Looking for more youth sports tips and advice? Visit us today!
Coach V runs Ultimate Youth Basketball, a site dedicated to offering players, parents and coaches the best information, reviews and advice about the game of basketball.
To stay current with the latest youth basketball tips and advice, drills, product reviews, and other new basketball resources – sign up for the FREE Youth Hoops newsletter at Ultimate Youth Basketball.com/basketball-newsletter
**END YOUNG ATHLETE ARTICLE**
I give full permission for you to use this article in your newsletter or on your site as long as you include my resource box with my website links included.